So I thought I'd do a handy guide to what one or two of these oddities might mean - to help you sort the Lafite from the Graff, if you will.
My tongue-in-cheek guide to funny wine terms.
- PRICE POINT - price
- WINE TRADE - wine business, wine industry
- FINE - usually 1) great; may sometimes mean 2) not heavy in texture; never means 3) decent, not bad
- SERIOUS - see FINE, above (antonym: quaffable)
- CROWD-PLEASER - I can see why people with poor taste like it
- QUAFFABLE or QUAFFER - nothing fancy but does the job
- OVERDELIVERS - is good value
- REFLECTS ITS TERROIR or HAS A SENSE OF PLACE - fits my preconceived idea of how wines from this region should taste
- GOOD TYPICITY - ignore the bit about terroir; tastes how I expect this grape to taste
- FOCUSED or PRECISE - a posh quaffer
- ON THE NOSE I'M GETTING... - it smells like...
- THIS WINE IS SHOWING WELL - this tastes good today